I am not sure why cooking salmon always intimidates me. Oh wait yes i do because when i cook it, it ends up on either side of the spectrum: raw or rubber. Yep.
A few weeks ago, Casey and i were visiting my parents for my mom’s birthday (hi mom!) and she had an unreal spread for dinner. Part of this spread was this AH-mazing salmon that was baked so perfectly it was a dream. It was i-feel-like-i-am-in-a-fancy-restaurant-right-now flakey and topped with smoked gouda (helllooo my favorite cheese EVER!) and spinach. A combo i don’t think i would have ever thought to put on top of salmon. But she did. And it rocked my world.
I, of course, stole borrowed the recipe from her and immediately re-created it at home. And just like magic (POOF!) my salmon cooking skills went from zero to hero (anyone else watch Shark Tank? Freakin’ love when Lori overuses the term “hero.”) This smoked gouda and spinach salmon is baked so you get brownie points for healthy prep but then it’s topped with tons of cheese so i think the two cancel each other out? But then again i may not be the best judge because i pretty much put cheese on everything.
- ½lb salmon filet (i used wild caught atlantic salmon)
- ½ cup baby spinach
- ¼ cup shredded smoked gouda
- 2-3 Tbsp mayo
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash the salmon and season with salt and pepper. The piece that i bought still had the skin so i just baked it skin-side down.
- Mix the spinach, gouda, and mayo in a small bowl and spread the mix on top of the entire salmon filet.
- Bake for 20 minutes in an oven safe dish (i used a glass pyrex dish sprayed with coconut oil cooking spray).