So, i grilled some watermelon.
Casey got this charcoal grill a few weeks ago and we have been using it non-stop. Our gas grill has been sitting on the back deck, untouched. The charcoal gives everything we cook such an amazing smoky flavor that we have been grilling chicken, fish, veggies, and yep – even watermelon.
This Grilled Watermelon Salad just screams summer. I mean how could it not? To me, watermelon = summer. I love the abundance of fruits and veggies during the summer months (hello CSA!) and took 5 different kinds of fruit to work the other day and called it breakfast. Stuffing my face with fruit all day erryday.
So anyway back to this Grilled Watermelon Salad. Grilling the melon brings out the sweet, juicy flavor and it’s pretty aesthetically pleasing as well (win-win). Then you pair it with cucumbers, red onion, feta, and mint. The feta and watermelon bring out the most incredible sweet and salty combination and pair together so so perfectly. Then you just top with fresh lemon juice and olive oil. EASY PEASY.
The only downside is that this salad does not keep well which translates to make this salad then inhale it IMMEDIATELY. It won’t be difficult – promise.
I mean… just look at all those colors and flavors. Must. stop. drooling.
Get ready for a flavor explosion!
- 8 triangular slices of watermelon (as in picture above)
- 1 cup halved cucumber slices
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- To grill the watermelon, place each triangle on your grill and cook for 2 minutes per side, until grill marks form. Once cool, slice each large triangle into cubes.
- Arrange the watermelon on the bottom of each plate then split the rest of the ingredients among the two.
- Top each plate with pinch of salt and pepper, juice of 1/2 lemon, and 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Serve immediately.