My first time eating at Chipotle was only less than a year ago. Can you believe it?
[Ps – promptly 30 seconds after the above picture was taken, i completely knocked over that pilsner glass full of beer. Major fail.]
And ever since then when i visit the wholesome mexican place, i always order their burrito bowl. Always. I love the incredible flavor combination of the cilantro rice, sweet corn, salty cheese, creamy sour cream and guac, and perfectly seasoned chicken. Ok i need to stop drooling now.
And i had my “aha” moment a few weekends ago when me and Casey were running errands. We were starving and decided to stop into Chipotle and i of course ordered my beloved burrito bowl. A few bites in and a huge, bright light bulb went off and i realized i could easily replicate this dish at home.
The trick is to perfectly marinate the chicken. I threw all of the above (+ a bit of water) into a ziploc bag and let the chicken marinate for a few hours in the fridge. Then Casey threw it onto our charcoal grill and grilled it to perfection and it was AH-FREAKIN-MAZING. I’m talking better than Chipotle, people!
And of course i had to re-create the toppings too. Sweet corn, black beans, and i think i pretty much nailed their “mild” with sliced grape tomatoes, cilantro, and red onion.
Don’t forget to top with homemade guac and a dollop of greek yogurt. My healthy tip is to always sub greek yogurt for sour cream – you can’t taste the difference!
His and hers burrito bowls all mixed up:
I don’t even normally like rice and these burrito bowls have converted me. We were so in love with this dish that it is definitely going to become a staple around here.
- 1 extra large chicken breast
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1.5 Tbsp chopped serrano pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp water
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved and chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped red onion
- 1 tsp fresh cilantro
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tsp fresh cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup chopped romaine
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Guacamole and greek yogurt/sour cream for topping
- To prepare the chicken mix the spices, onion, garlic, olive oil and water in a medium bowl. Add the chicken and mix evenly to coat. Place in ziploc bag or cover and marinate for one hour up to overnight. Once marinated, grill for 6-10 minutes on each side.
- To prepare the salsa mix the chopped grape tomato, red onion, and cilantro and set aside.
- To prepare the rice, cook the rice according to package directions or re-heat if you have some on hand (huge time saver!) then add the lime juice, cilantro, and salt and set aside.
- To assemble each burrito bowl, first halve all of the ingredients. Then spread the rice on the bottom of each bowl and add the black beans, mild salsa, corn, cheese, and romaine. Add the chicken and top with the optional guacamole and greek yogurt.